D&H Distributing CEO Izzy Schwab Celebrates 60 Years of Service
D&H Distributing, a major provider of SMB and consumer technologies to the North American high-tech channel, would like to congratulate CEO Izzy Schwab on 60 years of service with the company. As a top executive at what is now a fourth-generation business, Izzy Schwab has proudly watched D&H evolve through a history of industry changes, adapting as the market, the US economy, and the state of technology has changed over the decades. D&H has since distributed some of the country’s earliest major household appliances, televisions, computers, networking equipment, video gaming systems, and smart home devices. Under his tenure, D&H’s revenues are approaching the $4 billion mark.
Izzy began his career at D&H in 1951 while still a high school student, sweeping floors at the D&H Baltimore warehouse. Drafted by the US Army in 1954, he was granted a deferment in order to finish a degree at Penn State University—then shipped-off for basic training the day after his graduation. The day of his discharge in 1957, his family assigned him a full-time position at D&H Distributing’s sales desk and put him to work that same afternoon.
He worked in a number of positions during the 1950s and ‘60s, eventually appointed to the new company headquarters in Harrisburg, and taking on the role of vice president of sales in the early 1970s. Izzy became president of D&H in 1989 and was named CEO in 1999, a position he holds to this day.
Izzy Schwab Facts:
- Greatest accomplishment: In the late 1980s, Izzy managed to keep D&H viable when its main manufacturer partners, RCA and Whirlpool, canceled their agreements due to changing industry models. Izzy launched an adaptive business strategy in 1987, leading D&H into the growing computer marketplace, and expanded further into a national distribution model, as opposed to its previous regional model.
- ESOP Launch: In 1998, Izzy established D&H as an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company. D&H is now 36% owned by its employees.
- Most Crucial Business Advice: “In running a successful organization long-term, the key is to focus on people and relationships. The same ideology applies to our customers and business partners. Relationships are paramount,” Izzy Schwab stresses. “D&H maintains an outstanding staff, some of whom I’ve personally had the pleasure of hiring. I’m confident the team we’ve built will continue to guide the business toward growth, adapting to the industry as it evolves and maintaining a keen emphasis on serving its customers in the channel.”
- Awards: Izzy Schwab was inducted into the CRN Hall of Fame in 2002, won an ADL National Consumer Technology Industry American Heritage Award in 2006, and was inducted into the Dealerscope Hall of Fame in 2009.
- View on prosperity: "We're in the same business we’ve been in since D&H was founded nearly 100 years ago. The industry changes at a more rapid pace every day, but distribution is still about having the right personal relationships, the right product, the right service level, and the right price. And getting it all to the right place on time. This has earned us a full century of success."
The preceding press release was provided by a company unaffiliated with Dealerscope. The views expressed within do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of the staff of Dealerscope.