CEDIA Expo : Fueling the Hot Audio Market
Soundbars and Bluetooth catch fireOctober 16, 2012 By Nancy Klosek
• Atlantic Technology said it’s shipping the HPAS-technology-endowed PowerBar 235 self-powered soundbar.
• Audio Control offerings included the Maestro M4 HD preamp surround processor and the Concert AVR-4 HD home theater receiver, which features Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, plus audio output of 120 watts per channel into seven channels.
• Polk Audio played its new SurroundBar 5000, the first Bluetooth product in that category, and also demonstrated the reference model SurroundBar 9000 IHT.
• Paradigm rolled out the Aera AirPlay, its first AirPlay-compatible wireless speaker system ($599, October), as well as the H15 ($199.99) and H15NC (for noise-cancelling; $299.99) on-ear headphone. Both will ship late next month.
• Wisdom Audio is now shipping its in-wall Insight P2i and P4i; larger models P6i and P8i will follow by year end. The planar magnetic speakers, priced to reach a larger audience, use newly developed drivers and are designed with passive crossovers.
• KEF’s X300A powered digital desktop hi-fi powered speaker system represents a new product category for the company ($799.99). Each bookshelf-size die-cast aluminum speaker houses two Class AB audiophile-grade amplifiers, and each uses KEF’s Uni-Q driver array adapted from the company’s flagship Blade speaker.
• Yamaha’s newest flagship 11.2-channel A/V receiver, RX-A3020 ($2,199.95), is AirPlay-capable and features 4K pass-through. Available later in the year will be two soundbar/wireless sub systems, YSP4300 (includes an FM tuner and a USB port ($1,899.95) and 3300 ($1,599.95).
• Harman Luxury Audio emphasized the refreshed nine-model Revel Performa3 line of loudspeakers. Also on display was the Mark Levinson 40th-anniversary Reference No. 52 preamp ($30,000), due to ship in January.
• At the Lenbrook booth, PSB’s Paul Barton demonstrated the Alpha PS1 desktop audio powered speaker system ($300, October).
• Onkyo showed off its new Bluetooth-enabled RBX-500 iLunar compact music dock that incorporates a 3D sound-processing technology called wave field sythesis. The chassis houses six built-in speakers and a subwoofer.
• Integra introduced the DMI-40.4 dock; it enables AirPlay streaming capability from both new A/V receivers and legacy models. It also introduced the DTR-70.4 THX Ultra2 Plus 9.2-channel network A/V receiver. l