Another One Bites the Dust: JCPenney to Close 27 Stores in 2019
After Sears made headlines for its bankruptcy filing and store closures, the next retailer facing similar hardships is now JCPenney. The department store will shutter 27 of its 860 locations by the end of the 2019. Of the affected locations, 18 consist of department stores while the remaining nine are home and furniture outlets.
Business Insider compiled a list of 16 confirmed locations set to close their doors this year with more to be added as they are announced. The department stores will shut down by July 5 with the home and furniture outlets to follow suit in the fall.
- Pines Mall, 2901 Pines Mall Dr., Pine Bluff, Arkansas
- NewPark Mall, 500 Newpark Mall, Newark, California
- Ponce De Leon Mall, 2121 US Hwy 1 S., St. Augustine, Florida
- Glynn Place Mall, One Mall Blvd., Brunswick, Georgia
- Lakeforest Mall, 701 Russell Ave., Gaithersburg, Maryland
- The Orchards Mall, 1800 Pipestone Rd., Benton Harbor, Michigan
- 1215 S. Main St., Sikeston, Missouri
- 3402 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, Missouri (home and furniture store)
- 6933 S. Lindbergh Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri (home and furniture store)
- Hamilton Mall, 4405 E. Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing, New Jersey
- Smith Haven Plaza, 9 Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, New York
- Cary Towne Center, 1105 Walnut St., Cary, North Carolina (closing May 3)
- Riverbirch Center Mall, 1041 Spring Lane, Sanford, North Carolina
- Greenwood Mall, 320 Bypass 72 Northwest, Greenwood, South Carolina
- Midway Mall, 4500 Midway Mall, Elyria, Ohio
- Northgate Mall, 401 NE. Northgate Way, Seattle, Washington
JCPenney has consistently come in at the tail end of our Dealerscope Top 101 CE Retailers list for several years now. In our latest findings, JCPenney came in two spots below its formerly held 93rd spot taking 95th in our forthcoming Dealerscope Top 101 CE Retailers list.
In a statement, JCPenney CEO Jill Soltau revealed plans to restructure the company's approach to better position themselves financially saying, "We have much work to do to position JCPenney for success and create long-term value for our shareholders, however our unwavering focus and discipline is already enabling meaningful progress."