Apple Moves into 2019 as Top Selling Smartwatch
Smartwatch sales experienced tremendous growth in 2018 in comparison to the previous year according to The NPD Group’s Smartwatch Total Market Report. Specifically, dollar sales of the devices were up 51 percent while unit sales saw a 61 percent increase.
To no one’s surprise, Apple dominated this category.
Following behind them, though were Samsung and Fitbit. Together, this trio made up 88 percent of total unit sales leaving the other 12 percent scrambling for ways to keep up. Despite Apple being practically untouchable, traditional and fitness-focused watch manufacturers are currently working to make a greater impact in the smartwatch market.
“Over the last 18 months smartwatch sales gained strong momentum, proving the naysayers, who didn’t think the category could achieve mainstream acceptance, had potentially judged too soon,” said Weston Henderek, director, industry analyst for NPD Connected Intelligence. “The ability to be truly connected via built-in LTE without the need to have a smartphone nearby proved to be a tipping point for consumers, as they now recognize the value in being able to complete a wide range of tasks on the device including receiving notifications, messaging, accessing smart home controls, and more.”
Some sixteen percent of U.S. adults now own a smartwatch with 18-34 year olds being the most prominent demographic. Although, with the newer health focused devices continuing to gain momentum, namely the Apple Watch Series 4, we could see a boost among older segments.