Contacts: John Price, Owner of Sound Systems, Charlotte, N.C.
John Price, the three-year owner of a small CE outfit in Charlotte, NC, is growing his business with a surprisingly simple strategy: capitalize on the low expectations of the American consumer.
“People have become accustomed to poor or mediocre service,” says Price. “We’re used to our orders being wrong at the drive-in window. It’s common that you can’t find anyone to really help you in a store. When we look at someone’s home entertainment system and show them we care about how the whole thing is looking and sounding, we become heroes! I believe we offer better service than anyone in our area. When people call here, their question will be answered.”
With 30% of his business walk-in and the other 70% now custom, Price is training his seven employees to make the most of every opportunity they have to visit a customer’s home. “I tell them to treat people well, no extra charge. Every time you enter a home, look at those four remote controls on the coffee table and say, ‘Do you like having four controls to run your system? We can help you with that...’ All of a sudden, we’re gurus!”