Nikon’s First DX-format Mirrorless Camera Debuts
Nikon has introduced the Nikon Z 50, the company’s first DX-format mirrorless camera, along with two companion NIKKOR Z DX lenses: the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR and NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR. Offering a compact and lightweight design, the Z 50 is being positioned by the company to deliver a new level of versatility and portability for a wide range of photographers including beginners, visual storytellers and enthusiasts.
Nikon has also officially announced the fastest NIKKOR lens to date – the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lens – a one-of-a-kind manual focus lens that demonstrates the potential of the Nikon Z mount, boasting a maximum aperture of f/0.95 and what the company is characterizing as the most advanced NIKKOR optical technology to date. Additionally, Nikon unveiled the MB-N10 battery power pack, an optional accessory for the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6.
Lastly, Nikon has released an updated NIKKOR Z lens roadmap, which highlights new lenses that will be unveiled in the future.
Some feature highlights of the Z 50 camera and the NIKKOR Z DX lenses follow.
For the camera:
– A DX-format 20.9-megapixel CMOS sensor
– Lightweight, compact body with a magnesium alloy frame for increased portability and durability
– A 209-point Hybrid AF System with Eye Detection AF
– A native ISO up to 51,200 and capable of up to 11 fps of continuous shooting
– A variety of video capabilities including 4K video capture with built-in 120p slow-motion, time-lapse, an interval timer as well as in-camera video trimming
– Creative Picture Controls and Special Effects modes for a unique shooting style and Scene mode to streamline controls for beginners
– A 3.2-inch LCD flip-down screen ideal for selfie taking and vlogging
– A silent shutter function for discreet shooting
For the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR and NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR lenses:
– Ultra-compact designs, a 16mm flange focal distance, and in-lens optical Vibration Reduction (VR) technology
For the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lens:
– Maximum aperture of f/0.95 for a dramatic depth of field and next-level low light performance
– Joins the S-Line of NIKKOR Z lenses, promising the most advanced NIKKOR optical technology: high-resolution image quality, beautiful bokeh (i.e., out-of-focus image areas), unrivaled optical performance and superior point-image reproduction
– Control of sagittal coma flare, allowing for sharper portraits, landscape images and low-light capability
– Features an ARNEO Coat and Nano Crystal Coat for minimal ghosting flare and incident light reflection
– Includes a felt-lined lens hood, offering superb image rendering and preventing additional reflection
The Z 50 will be available in November for an SRP of $859.95 (body only), $999.95 (one-lens kit with the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm lens), and $1,349.95 (two-lens with the NIKKOR Z 16-50mm and NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm)
The NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lens will be available on Oct. 31, for an SRP of $7,999.95.