NPD U.S. Consumer Tech Trends Tracking Shows COVID-19-Related TV Sales Uptick
Research company NPD Group’s vice president/industry advisor, Stephen Baker, provided media with some insights into U.S. consumer tech sales trends as they relate to the spread of COVID-19 throughout the country.
They are as follows:
- NPD-tracked U.S. Consumer Tech sales increased 23% year-over-year (29% week-over-week) during the week ending 4/18/2020 to nearly $1.8B. This topped the 21% increase tracked during the March week ending 3/21/2020 sales spike. Broad-based increases were seen across almost all categories, unlike in March, when the work-from-home categories dominated.
- Total work-from-home dollars were up 67% - an acceleration from the prior week's 53% increase. Monitors again led, with a unit increase of 73% (up from 55% the week before) with no change in ASP. Over the past 5 weeks, monitor sales doubled to almost 1.3M. Mice and keyboard sales saw unit and dollar increases above 20%.
- PC sales were up 53% during week of 4/18/2020 after a 31% increase the week prior. PCs have grown by at least 30% each of the last 5 weeks. Chromebook sales have been up over 100% for each of those weeks. Windows sales were up 36% last week and 45% for the last 5 weeks.
- TVs won this week. Sales exceeded 1.1m units, the highest volume ever outside the holidays – an 86% increase in units. Every size 32" & above had double-digit growth. 65"-&-above TVs were up 139%. 32" TVs, which declined by 15% over first 10 weeks of 2020, increased by 40% over the last 5 weeks.
- Other strong categories included networking (70%), headphones (29%), printers (61%), DIY components (111%), PC microphones (147%), range extenders (173%), streaming players (42%), TV mounts (41%), soundbars (69% in units), DVD and Blu-Ray players (both up 27% in units).
NPD says it is constantly monitoring the impact of COVID-19 on consumer spending, and a special section on the pandemic and its effects on consumer technology categories may be found on the NPD website: https://tinyurl.com/yd32334y