Soon Hitting the Road: Sony’s Newest In-Car Audio Lineup
Sony has just unveiled a new lineup of in-car media receivers including the XAV-AX8000, offering an 8.95-inch anti-glare screen in a single-DIN chassis. Also joining the line are three new audio receiver (no CD) models: the DSX-GS900, DSX-GS80 and DSX-B700.
“As auto manufacturers increasingly incorporate larger screens into their new models, legacy car owners don’t have to miss out on the latest technology,” Mike Fasulo, president and COO, Sony Electronics North America, pointed out in the announcement.
The XAV-AX8000 media receiver offers several key features. Its sturdy mount can be adjusted in three directions to allow for flexible installation in a wide variety of vehicles. Further, it integrates Apple CarPlay, which integrates an iPhone with the car audio’s display and controls, enabling users to make phone calls, access music, send and receive messages, get directions optimized for traffic and more while the driver stays focused on the road. Apple CarPlay now also supports third-party navigation apps. Another feature is Android Auto with Google Assistant, so the driver can use voice to help with daily tasks.
Other features are as follows:
- WebLink Cast – WebLink is a lightweight app delivery platform designed especially for in-vehicle use; using the Android or iOS device connection, it is now updated with a capability to mirror smartphone screen right on the display;
- 55Wx4 MAX/20Wx4 RMS DRA2 with EXTRA BASS circuitry – A built-in, four-channel amplifier delivers 55 watts x 4 (max. at 4 ohms) / 20 watts x 4 (RMS at 4 ohms) output power with DRA2 (Dynamic Reality Amp 2) power IC; the EXTRA BASS works to reproduce clear sound at any volume level; the two-mode boost steps allow for both delicate and heavy boost settings;
- Sound optimization – The Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) creates vivid sound image as if there were speakers on the dashboard; the 10-band equalizer (EQ10) with 10 presets provides easy frequency adjustment;
- FLAC audio file compatibility – Free Lossless Audio Codec compresses without any loss in quality; it can play back FLAC files with up to 24-bit depth and sampling frequency at 48 kHz;
- High voltage 3-preout – The 5-volt signal offers clearer sound with less distortion when the head unit is connected to a power amplifier for future acoustic expandability;
- Sleek aluminum key terminal – The ergonomically designed key terminal gives instant access to basic operation, including voice control, source selections and sound adjustments while minimizing distractions;
- Quick wakeup – The unit is ready to hit the road soon after ignition is turned on;
- Rear-view-camera-ready – The image of a connected rear-view camera is seen when the vehicle’s transmission lever is shifted to the “R” (Reverse) position or when tapping the “Rear Camera” icon on the home screen;
- Customizable Wallpaper – Allows changing its wallpaper to the preset color choices or user’s favorite JPEG image saved in a USB device
The XAV-AX8000 will be available in December 2019 for $599.99, including a three-year warranty.
The double-DIN DSX-GS900 Bluetooth Media Receiver allows heavy bass lovers to enjoy great sound in their vehicle. Customers can conveniently use their smartphone while in the car with a 4 x 100W(max.) / 4 x 45W(RMS) power by built-in Class-D amplifier and integrated EXTRA BASS technology. With the newly introduced 2-ohm load feature, users can utilize multiple speakers per channel in a system that includes four speakers and a subwoofer with no external amplifier. The new model also offers 5V 3 pre-out, Time Alignment, Dynamic Stage Organizer, Bluetooth dual-phone connection, dual USB, two-zone dynamic color illuminator, backup memory and Siri Eyes Free compatibility. The “Sony Music Center” smartphone app unifies car audio and smartphone apps, which can be controlled either from car audio or a smartphone. Various settings and audio customizations are available on “Sony Music Center.” Compatibility on Advanced Car Audio Setting—the dedicated plug-in software—provides additional graphic interfaces for detailed sound settings. It will be available in December for $249.99, including a three-year warranty.
The DSX-GS80 Media Receiver is a single-DIN version of the DSX-GS900. All the unique-to-Sony audio features are available, namely 4 x 100W(max.) / 4 x 45W(RMS) built-in Class-D amplifier with 2-ohm multiple speaker load option, EXTRA BASS circuitry and Dynamic Stage Organizer. Must-have legacy premium functions such as Time Alignment and 5V 3 pre-out are incorporated as well. Similar to the DSX-GS900, this model also comes with Bluetooth dual-phone connection, dual USB, two-zone dynamic color illuminator, backup memory, Siri Eyes Free, “Sony Music Center” smartphone app compatibility and Advanced Car Audio Setting plug-in. It will be available in December for $229.99, including a three-year warranty.
The Bluetooth compatible double-DIN DSX-B700 Media Receiver allows users to experience essentials on the go. This 4 x 55W(max.)/ 4 x 20W(RMS) powered media receiver is equipped with enhanced smartphone connectivity that will assist users with accessing the Bluetooth dual phone connection and Siri Eyes Free. It also includes smartphone integration with “Sony Music Center” app, front AUX connection, made-for-iPhone compatible USB terminal, configurable steering remote input, and illumi-highlighted design to capture and sync with the driver’s style, car interior and sound. The DSX-B700 comes SiriusXM Radio-ready and is compatible with Pandora through users’ iPhone or Android device. It will be available in September for $129.99.