Survey: More Than 9 in 10 Shoppers Will Make Last-Minute Holiday Gift Purchases
In its latest Shoppers Trend Report, digital offers marketplace RetailMeNot found that, even while the holiday shopping season started earlier for most consumers this year, 30 percent of consumers still decide to wait until the week of Christmas to do the majority of their holiday shopping.
What’s more 91 percent of the more than 1,000 U.S. consumers surveyed by RetailMeNot said they have bought last-minute gifts during the holidays. And the reasons for the procrastination are varied, according to the group’s report:
- 44 percent were undecided on what to get the gift recipient
- 30 percent said they just became too busy and ran out of time
- 21 percent said they waited to see how much money they had left
- Another 21 percent said they received a gift unexpectedly
- And yet another 21 percent said they simply forgot about buying a gift