Sports and CE: A Winning Combination
Sports have long been tied to media and technology. The first radio broadcast of a baseball game was on August 5, 1921, and since then sports consumption via print, radio and television has exploded. With the advent of the Internet, videogames, wireless services and time/place shifting devices (e.g. TiVo), fans now have a broad array of choices to enjoy and interact with their favorite sports.
Retailers and manufacturers benefit from sports’ ability to drive store traffic and product sales. Conversely, a large base of consumers with devices to access more and higher quality sports content allows sports franchises, broadcasters, and advertisers to capitalize on new and better ways to reach enthusiastic fans.
The Consumer Electronics Association’s study, “Inside the Mind of the HD Sports Fan,” examined the relationship between sports and technology, most notably high-definition television. The study pegs the number of HDTV owners who are sports fans at 16.2 million, or 57 percent of all HDTV owners. The remaining 43 percent consists of those who may watch the big game, the Olympics, or tune into a game periodically, but don’t consider themselves hardcore sports fans