Social-Light or Social-Plight?
Brands are investing in accelerating levels of social platform integration,designed to challenge legacy dynamics of consumer marketing economics. At the same time, factories continue to breed and deliver overvalued consumer products with the promise of highly profitable economies tuned for market scale. The standard bill of profit-fare is to protract formidable product volumes along with commanded price elasticity to fuel consumer demand and successful consumer pull.
Brands historically pushed with ads into markets to stimulate consumer pull, the fuel that keeps factories humming aggressively. This very expensive overhead of building, creating and ensuring product pull through conventional advertising and marketing wisdom is quietly dissipating, evolving into social-centric software platforms which are smartly integrated, connected, mined and engaged with consumers. Through this highly efficient escalating investment shift into social-pull platforms, many brands sluggishly trip through “social-plights” while brand leaders have moved dauntlessly into a highly integrated “social-light.”
Consumers have exercised their demand for personal and social value creation outside the four walls of products through their mammoth demand for apps, a core catalyst for value add and value creation. The old adage of shelf space advantage was based on hard wired product features, a business language factories understood and capitalized on. Today, there are enormous profit opportunities outside of the product frame that revenue no longer boomerangs back to the disciplined factory, but rather to a multitude of third party companies benefitting from your products' social platform disciplines. When the exterior platform eco-system (cloud engagements) is worth exceedingly more to consumers than the physical product itself, commoditization marches against brand penetration. When consumers unite through social media, it is time for brands and products to also join socially, to enlist and engage together with consumers in both America and globally.
Social networking is more than just a critical communications lever. Social networking must be valued as a unique channel of distribution. Not in the traditional sense of distribution rather as a brand and product pull-channel crafted and cultivated through a savvy, relevant and highly creative social content strategy.
Sage marketers have already re-constructed their push-metric war rooms into new cross-company market engines re-designed from a newly defined social-pull perspective. They recognize that “community marketing” leads to pervasive community buying and brand loyalty. CMOs (Chief Metric Officers) must work to create market opportunities. Digital pillars under the ribs of a brands social anthem include:
- Brand, product and content blogs
- Video and webcast marketing
- Social media advertising
- Search engine optimization
- Mobile marketing
- Social platform campaigns
- Paid search
- Brand, product and PR monitoring
- CRM - SCRM targeting
- Social media apps
- Mobile marketing
- Social seasonality triggers
- Email marketing
- Social and product turn measurements
- Social creative toolbox
Social channels based on these marketing triggers delivers an invaluable and transparent consumer dialogue. The goal is to connect to consumers in order to pull demand for your creative social content, mollified around your brand and product offerings. Unlocking the refulgent social-power of your brand unleashes consumer engagement, escalating awareness, interest and buying conviction. It also unleashes profitable and consistent factory capacity. As consumers accelerate their social usage and corresponding participation, value to “social-light” marketers also accelerates. Gen One Ventures offers 4 of 10 key principles to fuel your integrated social strategy, your ability to promulgate consumer pull through smart, calculated social engagements:
1. Social content is brand strategy: Whether you are a manufacturer, retailer or personal brand builder it is emotional differentiation that affords and grants profitable market penetration. Your social content strategy and deliverables defines and motivates your brand, your products and your most important target audiences. Energizing and magnetizing content drives brand infatuation, increased circulation, community distribution and instant boomerang access to make or take a market.
2. Maximize to social capitalize: Capitalize on measuring ROI metrics with respect to your stated content strategy is job two. Job one is determining, declaring and focusing on the right metrics to fuel assiduous consumer engagements. More importantly, measurement should not simply reside in the marketing department rather every department should participate in social content tactics and deployment to ensure aggregated social networking equals brand muscle and market penetration.
3. Social metrics congress social opportunity: Measurement algebra can be dangerous and deceptive if not directly tied to sales product forecasts, revenues and resulting market growth. Of course cloud retailers are immediately advantaged through instant-resulting algorithms and creative metrics allowing for hyper-fast price shifting, price advantaging and altering social engagements.
4. Ambient metrics auger opportunity: Every marketer seemingly focuses on a variety of social metrics to drive afforded opportunity. As example, a key metric could be the aggregation of: organic traffic plus percentage of new visitors plus bounce rate with respect to time on the rendered page and as compared to product sell though over X period of time. Determining which metric-triggers best effect sell-through-performance and market attention/retention must be finely tuned cross company to advantage your overall social brand content strategy.
Master an integrated social-light platform for your brands and products and they will in turn become your kinetic growth and profit engine, they will pull your factories profitable future for many years to come.
Related story: Profiteer Your Brand