By Jeff O'Heir
To celebrate its 15th anniversary, Netgear is realizing its original vision of helping consumers to improve connectivity in the home, expand it out of the home and extend it to multiple devices simultaneously.
"We're pushing forward with what we envisioned 15 years ago," said Patrick Lo, Netgear's chair and CEO during the company's product launch at CES on Wednesday. "Connectivity has to be no -stop, high-speed and non-jittery to handle today's HD-quality video streaming."
The new lineup features eight products designed, in part, to improve the Internet connectivity and streaming capabilities of today's growing number of mobile devices. The three main products include:
- The 3DHD Wireless Home Theater Networking Kit has ultra-high WiFi Range and streaming capabilities for HD and 3D1080p videos. It also features wireless connectivity to home entertainment and networking devices.
- The NeoTV 550 Ultimate Media Player is designed to stream movies, music and photos stored on networked devices to the TV. It streams in 1080p with Dolby digital or DTS surround sound, automatically scans networked and local devices, and organizes digital content. It also includes a built-in SD card slot for access to digital files.
- The ReadyNAS Ultra and Ultra Plus Series provides remote access and automatic backup of digital files. The devices are TiVo compatible and include an Orb mobile streaming server.
"What people need is one play to centralize control," said David Henry, senior director of consumer products, "and they can do that with the ReadyNAS Ultra Series."
Netgear also introduced:
- The N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router for optimized content streaming
- The Universal WiFi Range Extender, designed to double the range of wireless networks
- The N300 Wireless Router with Built-in Powerline AV to share connectivity to multiple PCs and devices
- The Internet Adapter for Home Theater for streaming HD and 3D to multiple devices
- The Powerline AV 200 Nano Adapter Kit, which extends connections to any power outlet